[TriLUG] mostly OT: Tech Lobbyist

Roger Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 24 13:04:57 EDT 2015

Google
    "white house Linux"
    "nist secure Linux" (NIST: National Institute of Standards and Technology")
and
    "national labs Linux supercomputer"

Read https://www.drupal.org/project/uscongress

Consider SES Linux and the NSA (and, NIST):
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

Surprisingly to some people, inroads have been made on government and at the highest levels.

But my wife is stuck on MS Office, despite my best efforts to convert her to Open Office. It's the familiarity with what she learned that makes me a Windows tech at home.

On September 24, 2015 11:15:58 AM EDT, Tim Jowers via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>Is there any Lobbyist representing tech?  E.g. by now there is zero
>technical reason all government systems have not moved to Linux.
>Certainly,
>by now, the majority of the State of NC systems and computers should
>run
>Linux. Linux has been very stable for over a decade both from a desktop
>and
>from a server perspective. Even the vast majority of mobile phones run
>Linux or a sister OS (I understand iOS is basically freebsd reworked,
>correct me if wrong).
>
>My understanding from speaking with one lobbyist is the legal process
>works
>like this: someone proposes a bill. The committee has no clue often.
>They
>ask verbally [does anyone have input or objection]. If no lobbyist is
>present to educate, then the bill gets approved to vote. Something like
>that.
>
>Clearly, we need representation. Would you pay $100/year to fund your
>own
>Tech Lobbyist?  Would your company pay $1,000 or more? I'm sure many
>would.
>The Internet "Geographic Monopoly" is one obvious example of lobbying
>and
>lack of a Tech Lobbyist.
>
>In some states, having a PMP certification is required for performing
>State
>contracts. I know the PE licensing board has failed to address Software
>Engineering. Perhaps we also need a licensing board.
>
>Thoughts?
>Tim Jowers
>--
>This message was sent to: Roger <rogerb at bronord.com>

Roger Broseus
www.bronord.com
(This email was composed on an Android device. Please excuse predictive-text induced tiepos.)