[TriLUG] mostly OT: Tech Lobbyist

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 24 22:49:21 EDT 2015

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:15:58 -0400
Tim Jowers via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Is there any Lobbyist representing tech?  E.g. by now there is zero
> technical reason all government systems have not moved to Linux.

> Clearly, we need representation. Would you pay $100/year to fund your
> own Tech Lobbyist?  Would your company pay $1,000 or more? I'm sure
> many would. The Internet "Geographic Monopoly" is one obvious example
> of lobbying and lack of a Tech Lobbyist.

I'd be careful what you wish for. With Linux under the radar, at least
the government doesn't interfere with Linux. Imagine if this lobbyist
favored legislation to help one or a few distros, and eliminate all the
rest. There goes your choice.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust