[TriLUG] ARIN IPv4 free pool now empty

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 24 14:38:42 EDT 2015

Mine is going well. Most of the services I run have public-facing IPv6
access. It helps that a lot of my $WORK projects run on AWS which now
supports IPv6 on their load balancers. Still waiting on Charter to give me
an IPv6 address. They provide 6rd which works but is much slower than my
Hurricane Electric tunnel (100sm vs 30ms ping to google.com).

I think the next big thing is to migrate backends to use IPv6 only. For
example there is a lot of hubbub about Docker and containers, and the way
these work is that they all use a local virtual LAN and all the containers
are behind a NAT. Instead, it'd be swell if each container got a /96 or
some such. That way (1) each container could be assigned a unique globally
accessible address, and (2) the address would stay the same for each
container instead of changing on every reboot, etc.

Go get a tunnel!

Igor