[TriLUG] Obama administration won’t seek encryption-backdoor legislation

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 12 10:59:22 EDT 2015

Considering all the open source encryption products out there, Anyone serious about keeping the Gov. out of encrypted transmission would most likely be able to do it quite easily. That does not mean they cannot decrypt it over time with massive computing, but that takes time. All I am saying here is that even if these companies built it into these products, you would see a great migration to private encryption software and the standard offering would be disabled.
The Government can be so foolish at times. I agree that this statement is similar to the router statement, in that the Gov. has the belief that they can actually make a difference on either of these topics. They are 100% out of control of these items. Nothing they do will make a difference to anyone that is serious about skirting their efforts. For the most part I will tack it up as pure ignorance on their part.
John Vaughters