[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

Roger Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 13 11:42:07 EDT 2015

I had terrible luck with Linksys. Gave up after two bad ones. Went with Netgear,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRJY4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Worked great outta the box. Videos stream with no hiccups. Just ran the FCC speed test: 24 mbs download, 7 up. 43 msec latency, no packet loss. I have a basic FIOS connection.

On October 13, 2015 11:14:00 AM EDT, Igor Partola via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>My standard recommendation has been TP-Link WDR4300 with OpenWRT +
>separate
>gigabit switch + a UniFi Pro access point. This is a bit outside of
>your
>price range of $200 but I've found this setup to be rock solid. If you
>are
>not averse to buying used electronics here is the cheapest Amazon
>prices I
>found:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0089QB1SC/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1444748892&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+pro&condition=used
>- $160 for the UniFi Pro (this one does not do 802.11ac, just 802.11n)
>
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0088CJT4U/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1444748942&sr=8-1&keywords=wdr4300&condition=used
>- $46 for the WDR4300
>
>http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BP0SSAS/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1444749115&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link+poe+switch&condition=used
>- $48 for the TP-Link gigabit POE switch.
>
>This is the exact setup I have and it's fantastic. I wish I had gotten
>the
>802.11AC version of the UniFi but it's much more expensive and I only
>have
>one devices in the house that currently supports AC: a cell phone for
>which
>the n rate is good enough.
>
>Igor
>--
>This message was sent to: Roger <rogerb at bronord.com>

Roger Broseus
www.bronord.com
(This email was composed on an Android device. Please excuse predictive-text induced tiepos.)