[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 13 11:14:00 EDT 2015

My standard recommendation has been TP-Link WDR4300 with OpenWRT + separate
gigabit switch + a UniFi Pro access point. This is a bit outside of your
price range of $200 but I've found this setup to be rock solid. If you are
not averse to buying used electronics here is the cheapest Amazon prices I
found:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0089QB1SC/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1444748892&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+pro&condition=used
- $160 for the UniFi Pro (this one does not do 802.11ac, just 802.11n)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0088CJT4U/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1444748942&sr=8-1&keywords=wdr4300&condition=used
- $46 for the WDR4300

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BP0SSAS/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1444749115&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link+poe+switch&condition=used
- $48 for the TP-Link gigabit POE switch.

This is the exact setup I have and it's fantastic. I wish I had gotten the
802.11AC version of the UniFi but it's much more expensive and I only have
one devices in the house that currently supports AC: a cell phone for which
the n rate is good enough.

Igor