[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

C TC via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 13 11:01:19 EDT 2015

Time to ask what folks in here are using at home.
My recent speed upgrades require new hardware to support it.
Been using a Motorola SB6141 modem, and a Linksys E3000
router for 4+ years. The SB replaced the Ubee modem (bridged)
from TWC.

I've replaced the 6141 with a SB6183, and it works flawlessly
after having TWC provision it. 16 channels of awesome!

The E3000 (which I love) had decent WiFi support for our small
home. Dual SSID's and no dropped connections. However, the
E3000 does not support LAN over 54Mbps.

Based on reviews, I replaced the E3000 with a TP Link Archer C7.
Great price, and really incredible WiFi signal. However, I returned
the C7 because the LAN ports were not passing more than 10 Mbps.
That is not a typo. Standard steps followed to provision; updated
firmware, tested with defaults, applied custom settings, tested, etc.

The hard line connections (3) are all less than 6 months old, and
built for Gigabit. All the NIC's are capable of the same. Connecting
them directly to the SB6183 modem has proven the issue does not
exist at the cabling layer.

Hard lines: Modem > Router w/1 direct PC > Gig Switch w/ 2 PC connections
WiFi: 4 cell phones > up to 4 PC/tablets > Smart TV > Android TV box

To shorten this long post ... I need either a router to handle the line
speeds, and then connect a WiFi AP; or an all-in-one to handle the
duties. I do like having a dual SSID setup. A sub $200 would be a nice
perk, but realize this may be asking too much. I can write off half of the
cost in April.

Right now, I have a crappy little ON Networks N150 as router 1, and the
E3000 as an AP. Speeds are better, but not what they could be. The N150
doesn't transfer above 150.

TIA

~Carl