[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 13 13:05:04 EDT 2015

I've had some mixed results with Netgear. Their cheapest stuff has given me
trouble in the past (same with D-Link). But there is a bigger concern for
me that more or less rules out Netgear: lot of their routers cannot run
OpenWRT easily. This is a problem because I feel that OpenWRT is much more
responsive to security issues than big name OEM's. I really don't want
someone running arbitrary code on my LAN and all. Stories like
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34491583 come up often enough that I
don't want to risk it.

That's not to say OpenWRT is perfect, mainly because the update process is
not automated, but I'll still take available updates over ones that are not.

Igor