[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

C TC via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Oct 14 10:44:09 EDT 2015

Thanks for all the input, links, and for saving me some $

Before pulling the trigger on a stack of new gear, I decided
to do one last round of troubleshooting. After a couple of years
of doing interoperability testing, and finding oddball defects, I
had that haunting feeling I'd missed a couple of testing steps.

Borrowed a cable tester from work ... no idea what hole mine fell into.
Cables all "seemed" to be in working order. However, when
connecting the 35 foot Cat6 (connects between router & switch)
directly to modem, the cable produced random results speed-wise,
and while pinging.
 > 1st issue discovered - check.

Also tested my old (2008?) Netgear GS608 switch.
​I have no idea if was the faulty cable, or the amount of increased
bandwidth (yeah, I know how dumb that sounds); it turns out that
the switch is toast and only transferring 10Mbps on all ports.
 > 2nd issue discovered - check

I took the Archer C7 router out of it's return box, set it up, and
ran a Cat5E across the room to test. Boom! 220+ Mbps from all
4 LAN ports.
​
I would suggest the Archer C7 to anyone looking for an
inexpensive WiFi router. Both signals produce great range.
Looks like you can run OpenWRT on it as well.

Canceled the router return, ordering a new switch, and
new CAT6 cable. Seems the farther I get away from the
hands on server room work, the more I forget the basics.

# ./dont_forget_the_basics.sh