[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

Steven Tardy via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 15 21:15:07 EDT 2015

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 7:44 PM, Steve Litt via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:28:37 -0400
> Scott Miller via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
>> Somewhat related - I just installed pfsense on a small micro ATX box
>> for my home router.
>>
>> IPv6 with TWC works automatically from a default pfsense install.
>
> I want to hear all about it. How many NICs? How many are Megabit? How
> many are USB, and if so, USB2 or USB3? Is it fanless? How many watts
> consumption.
>
> Right now I'm running pfSense 24/7 on an elderly desktop that makes a
> lot of noise and uses a lot of electricity. Eventually I need to start
> saving some power and noise.

My favorite home network thus far is pfsense running as a VM with two vmnics. VM server with a single trunked(multiple VlANs) physical NIC. pfsense VM second/outside vmnic accessing a second VLAN into which the cable modem is plugged.

Crude drawing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Xljo7TUB3leTZ0VnFaeFFPNkE