[TriLUG] OT: Looking for better home router

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 17 15:11:54 EDT 2015

There are a lot of cool things you can do if you're going to run pfSense.

I have personally used a few of these
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007>:
For $129, it's a Mintek knock-off from "OEM Production" with an Intel D2550
1.86Ghz dual-core Atom and dual Broadcom GbE NICs WITH case and power
supply.
...just add RAM and a USB stick or one of those Z-U130 flash drives I
mentioned earlier.

This also looks decent
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173122>:
For $139 ...same sort of thing but from Zotac with a Celeron 2961Y
dual-core 1.1Ghz and dual Realtek GbE NICs, 802.11ac wifi, WITH case and
power supply.
...again, just add RAM and flash drive.

This Jetway board
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153300> has a
quad-core at less than 5W, 7.5W TDP with QUAD Intel GbE NICs!!!

You can add Ethernet ports to most of these boards with a mini PCIe slot
adapter such as:
$51 dual Realtek GbE mini PCIe <http://www.logicsupply.com/8111me-d/>
adapter from Logic Supply
$90 dual Intel i350 GbE mini PCIe <http://www.logicsupply.com/admpeidla/>
adapter from Logic Supply

The boards with a PCIe 1x connector can use one of these Intel quad GbE
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH2558758> cards for
about $100.

Lots of options!

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
pager:   (919) 869-1744
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."