[TriLUG] Best attached storage

Don Jerman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 10 12:25:24 EST 2015

Looking at the spec it seems the T61 doesn't  have USB 3.0 so I'd recommend
trying the key, and then when it's not satisfactory (usb 2 is slow for
GB-sized transfers - rsync on my work machine can take hours for ~6gb) look
at a 128GB or 256GB SSD.  I'd recommend an M.2 drive instead, but it looks
like T61 doesn't have that slot either.

You may need to flash the latest bios, or the middleton bios, to get sata 2
speed.  It'll probably work without it but why forego the benefit?

But if you can't modify the machine (like, it belongs to an employer) or
you really can stand the wait, then a low profile key is the way to go.
You'll just have to put up with slower speed.

Format the drive for ext4 if you will use it only with this machine - the
journalling may help file system recovery from accidental disconnects and
sleep/power issues.  But it won't carry across to other people's computers
so easily, even if they use Linux - the user numbers and group numbers may
be off depending on your/their order of user creation and distro.