[TriLUG] OT: Job and request for help!

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 28 20:45:41 EST 2016

      If it makes you feel any better, I too did not know UNC
reputation was very bad; I assume they meant IT. I left a primarily
Linux (though I personally supported AIX, Solaris, Open/freeBSD, OSX,
and Windows) job in FL for one at UNC that is primarily
Windows-centric. Primarily because I have been applying Linux
approaches to solve issues even when the recommended solution is the
traditional "download this executable from this creepy site and run it
as admin without thinking" that is traditional in the Windows
environment. Or the just buy some commercial solution. So, I can see
that this way of thinking does not rub the right way with members in
this list, and I did hear from other members, and have seen it too,
that politics can take precedence over knowledge on the decision
process. But, from that to UNC having a very bad reputation is a bit
of a jump.

As I have considered finding a more Linux/network-related job at UNC,
I can't help but wonder what was meant by that.