[TriLUG] OT: Job and request for help!

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 28 14:46:37 EST 2016

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 23:16:55 -0500
"Lance A. Brown via TriLUG" <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote on 2/27/2016 3:10 PM:
> > On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 12:27:24 -0500
> > "Paul G. Szabady via TriLUG" <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> >
> >> * Include link(s) to benefits information so that applicants can
> >> estimate total compensation package, not just base salary.
> >> I may be naive, but this is something I would expect the applicant
> >> to do in their investigation of the position and it's entity.
> >
> > Reread the preceding two sentences, and think about what you're
> > really saying.
> >
> > There are two kinds of technologists: The employed and the
> > unemployed. Employed technologists are too busy, and fielding too
> > many offers as it is. The last thing they'll spend time on is
> > jumping through hoops that could have been replaced by a few links.
> > So the employed technologists skip over your posting.
>
> Bullpucky.
>
> Speaking anecdotally, if I were in NC (I'm not), working (I am), and
> interested in this position (maybe, if I were in NC), I'd take the
> time to track down the information I needed to make an informed
> decision about the position before/during the application process.

In the preceding sentence, the distinction is in "before/during".
During? Certainly. You don't want to find out, in week 3 of the job,
that you're working for a death march slavedriver.

But before? Consider these two algorithms, assuming 90% of all
interview:

foreach job ad
	research the company
	modify resume
	send resume
	if called for interview
		go to interview

foreach job ad
	send resume
	if called for interview
		research the company
		go to interview

There's also a matter of degree when it comes to researching a company.
To me, you need to spend about 5 hours, including some time talking to
people who work there.

An alternate route would be to spend 5 minutes on the company's website
finding what they do and what buzzwords they use, and then 5 minutes
inserting their buzzwords into the resume. I'd imagine that might be an
excellent use of 10 minutes because it might double your interviews per
resume sent.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key