[TriLUG] test

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 6 20:11:15 EDT 2016

> I believe that it was the MailMan greylist. It's likely
> that his EMail threw up flags that it might be spam. The messages just
> take a bit longer to get through the pipe because of this.

Greylisting only tells the sender to try again in 5 minutes (some
senders take their sweet time, though).  But it SIGNIFICANTLY cuts down
on the attempted spam.

I think this was a bad SSL certificate.  We had a change of guard this
year, and in the process, I think we ended up with self-signed cert for
a while, and then possibly a bad cert over the last week. I re-renewed
our mail certificate on Saturday, and that's when Peter's logjam cleared up.

On a side note, recently, I have been looking at "Let's Encrypt" and it
looks very promising.  It's a free service, spearheaded by Mozilla and
Cisco (my current employer, incidentally).  My personal domains are
using LetsEncrypt certs.  For simple web sites, it's super easy to set
up.  I hit a small snag on the IPv6-only domain
https://ipv6.alanporter.com/, but other than that, it went well.  I have
not renewed yet... the certs last 90 days and can be renewed after 60.
So I am anxious to see if that's as simple as they claim (cron job,
anyone?).  Let's Encrypt was featured on the cover of this month's Linux
Journal (e-)magazine (although their article dove into using docker to
insulate themselves from any side effects of the scripts, so I thought
it was not as approachable as an article on "free, easy SSL certs"
should have been).

Sorry... that was a long side note.

As always, if you're seeing something wonky on TriLUG mail, send a
message to steering at trilug.org (if you can, duh) or directly to me (see
https://alanporter.com/contact/) or any of the current SC members.

Alan