[TriLUG] TriLUG is on meetup.com - please join!

Hrivnak, Michael via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 6 12:27:33 EDT 2016

In an effort to attract more members and meeting attendees, the Steering
Committee has created a meetup.com group for TriLUG:

http://www.meetup.com/trilug/

To help us gain visibility and grow our community, please take a moment to
hit the "Join" button. While you're there, please RSVP to this week's
meeting!

Meeting logistics will otherwise not be affected. Use of meetup.com is
completely optional. At this point we consider it to be only a form of
advertising.

Background:

I noticed this spring that other technical groups were having a lot of
success reaching interested locals via meetup.com. One that illustrated it
for me was the Triangle Kubernetes Meetup. It's container-related, which is
a hot topic right now, but still Kubernetes is a fairly specific subject to
be interested in. They started a meetup group and had 50+ people show up in
person to the very first meeting. That's a lot! Since we're an established
group covering a broad topic of wide general appeal, I think we should be
able to do better.

The SC discussed it, and others confirmed that meetup.com seems to be a
popular way for people to discover community groups. It is also a
convenient way for interested locals to stay informed of upcoming events.
We approved a 6 month subscription to meetup.com to see if it is beneficial.

Please help us make this outreach effort a success by joining the group on
meetup.com, and by sharing the link with anyone who may be interested.

Michael