[TriLUG] Build a Homebrew Linux Router?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 14 10:22:08 EDT 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Jeremy Davis via TriLUG wrote:

> Jim Salter has presented a couple times at TriLUG.

> Reply if interested.

yes. I'd be more interested in a hack-a-day, where you brought the box and the
SSD and came away with a functioning and tested router.

The main problem with this box is that there is only one port for the LAN.

There was a similar router I read about the other day based on an ASUS wifi box
runing Tomato, with 4 ethernet ports on the LAN.

https://hobo.house/2016/03/10/build-secure-vlan-networks-with-shibby-tomato-router-firmware/

The router was set up with VLANs to isolate networks, so if the internet TV on
one network got hacked, it would not be able to access any of the other boxes in
the house. I was interested as I don't know how to setup VLANs on these wifi
boxes. I notice Nivex does this on his boxes, but I don't know how he does it. I
would be more interested in a box with VLANs like this.

Thanks
Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml