[TriLUG] Build a Homebrew Linux Router?

Ken Mink via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 14 12:21:35 EDT 2016

On 06/14/2016 10:22 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Jeremy Davis via TriLUG wrote:
>
>> Jim Salter has presented a couple times at TriLUG.
>
>> Reply if interested.
>
> yes. I'd be more interested in a hack-a-day, where you brought the box
> and the SSD and came away with a functioning and tested router.
>
> The main problem with this box is that there is only one port for the
> LAN.
>
> There was a similar router I read about the other day based on an ASUS
> wifi box runing Tomato, with 4 ethernet ports on the LAN.
>
> https://hobo.house/2016/03/10/build-secure-vlan-networks-with-shibby-tomato-router-firmware/
>

> The router was set up with VLANs to isolate networks, so if the
> internet TV on one network got hacked, it would not be able to access
> any of the other boxes in the house. I was interested as I don't know
> how to setup VLANs on these wifi boxes. I notice Nivex does this on
> his boxes, but I don't know how he does it. I would be more interested
> in a box with VLANs like this.
>
> Thanks
> Joe

I built my own router using a BananaPI R1 (
http://www.banana-pi.org/r1.html ). It's running Debian Jessie. I built
my own iptables rules and have a guest wireless on one port, my internal
lan on another and a wan port. I also run dns, dhcp and openvpn on it. I
have yet to set up the wireless on it(guest wireless is external). It's
a great little machine and was designed for the job. I got mine from
AliExpess for ~$80.

Ken