[TriLUG] Build a Homebrew Linux Router?

Michael Marley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 14 12:21:44 EDT 2016

Just as a word of caution, RasPis tend to make pretty awful routers.
This is mainly due to the fact that the Ethernet chip is a 100Mbps
device attached to USB2 and any additional Ethernet devices must also
attach to the same USB2 bus.  On at least the RasPi 1 and 2, this bus is
additionally limited to about 60Mbps of total bandwidth.  Combine this
with the fact that the Internet traffic must both enter and leave the
device across the USB interface and these limitations make it an
acceptable router only for extremely slow Internet connections.

Michael

On 2016-06-14 11:54, Jeremy Davis via TriLUG wrote:

> I wonder if we could tie in "homebrew router" into July 14 RPi Talks?
>
> This would be ideal because we are planning a hack day RPi install fest at
> SplatSpace afterwards. It would be a good time to make homebrew RPi
> routers.
>
> --
> Jeremy Davis
> @jeremydavis0_0