[TriLUG] Build a Homebrew Linux Router?

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 14 12:36:28 EDT 2016

I do not find performance to be an issue in my environment. I have two
Raspberry Pi's I am using as router/firewall combos. One is a 2B and the
other is a 3B. My home office network is not very large, but I do have
large file transfers pretty regularly, including multi-GB ISO images.
The limiting factor for me is the 15Mb down and 2Gb up of my TWBC
connection. I notice no difference in transfer times from when I was
using a tower PC with dual Gb NICs for my router/firewalls. In addition
to my casual observations, have used speedtest-cli to verify this with
repeatable and measurable observations.

Now when I convert to Google Fiber, I will have to do something else in
order to utilize the full bandwidth. ;-)

On 06/14/2016 12:21 PM, Michael Marley via TriLUG wrote:
> Just as a word of caution, RasPis tend to make pretty awful routers.
> This is mainly due to the fact that the Ethernet chip is a 100Mbps
> device attached to USB2 and any additional Ethernet devices must also
> attach to the same USB2 bus.  On at least the RasPi 1 and 2, this bus is
> additionally limited to about 60Mbps of total bandwidth.  Combine this
> with the fact that the Internet traffic must both enter and leave the
> device across the USB interface and these limitations make it an
> acceptable router only for extremely slow Internet connections.
>
> Michael
>
> On 2016-06-14 11:54, Jeremy Davis via TriLUG wrote:
>
>> I wonder if we could tie in "homebrew router" into July 14 RPi Talks?
>>
>> This would be ideal because we are planning a hack day RPi install fest at
>> SplatSpace afterwards. It would be a good time to make homebrew RPi
>> routers.
>>
>> --
>> Jeremy Davis
>> @jeremydavis0_0
>> www.linkedin.com/in/jeremydavisprofile/ [1]
>> www.trianglecareerdevelopment.com [2]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremydavisprofile/
> [2] http://www.trianglecareerdevelopment.com

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
Raleigh, NC, USA
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the
retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as
printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.