[TriLUG] On the subject of Google WiFi

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 25 15:17:13 EDT 2016

On 08/25/2016 03:11 PM, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:
> "As people move through a space with a wi-fi signal,
> their bodies affect it, absorbing some waves and reflecting others in
> various directions. By analyzing the exact ways that a wi-fi signal is
> altered when a human moves through it, researchers can “see” what
> someone writes with their finger in the air, identify a particular
> person by the way that they walk, and even read a person’s lips with
> startling accuracy—in some cases even if a router isn’t in the same
> room as the person performing the actions."

  Sensationalism.  Nothing to do with 802.11a/b/g/n and everything to do
with high-frequency radio waves.  Wi-fi is but one source of radio waves
in the unregulated 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.  I strongly doubt that any
off-the-shelf wi-fi equipment can be used to do RF imaging.  (Though
with the advance of things like SDR, I'm prepared to be wrong)