[TriLUG] Outdoor wifi repeater

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 29 08:11:05 EDT 2016

Greetings all,

Looking for some suggestions on an outdoor wifi repeater/range extender. Our RV campground offers free wifi but the signal is very low at our spot, and we have to sit outside the “tin can” to get any signal at all.  Fortunately, our camper is in direct line-of-site from the transmitter (no obstructions - probably 100yards from transmitter), which means I can get a good signal with the right gear.  Currently using a Netgear EX6100 (https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6100.aspx) but it is an indoor device only and the outdoor heat/humidity will probably kill it very shortly.

I saw something like this on eBay which looks like what I need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Mile-Range-Outdoor-WIFI-Range-Extender-Repeater-Antenna-Router-Combo-2-4-GHz-/231334147603

Looking for some suggestions/feedback…

Thanks.

-Ron