[TriLUG] Large coverage area wifi: Eero, Ubiquiti, other?

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 29 09:35:28 EDT 2016

For what its worth, I just bought a pair of Ubuqity UAP-AC-PRO units for our house (2-floor, 3K sqft), and they are outstanding.  I installed one unit upstairs (centrally located) and was able to max out the cable internet connection (220Mb/s) on wireless if I was anywhere upstairs.  Once I went downstairs in some remote corners, I was able to get about 110-120Mbps.  Still, very good, but I wanted the fastest connection anywhere in the house.  Thus, I put one upstairs and one downstairs (opposite corners).  Fantastic coverage.

The Ubuqity software is easy to use.  Just create a wifi profile via the GUI, and it will get pushed to all the APs automatically (instead of managing each AP individually).  Took about 10mins max to setup the devices.  I have a single SSID all over the house with roaming; no dropped connections; all is good (wife is happy!).

Just my $0.02