[TriLUG] Shrinking docker images

Greg Cox via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 24 09:53:14 EDT 2016

Tried it your way, got a 322M image.

=====
FROM ubuntu:latest
RUN apt-get update && apt-get --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests
-y install mono-runtime curl unzip mono-vbnc && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
WORKDIR /yWriter6
RUN curl -SL -o /tmp/yWriter.zip http://www.spacejock.com/files/yWriter6.zip
&& unzip -d /yWriter6 /tmp/yWriter.zip && rm -f /tmp/yWriter.zip
CMD mono bin/yWriter.exe
=====
^ 203M image.

Ubuntu:latest is 127M, and yWriter.zip is 4M unzipped.  Unless you can cut
some muscle, or use a super-stripped distro like Igor suggests, there's the
obvious fat I can see to cut.