[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 6 13:57:34 EST 2016

On Tue, 2016-12-06 at 09:22 -0500, Alan Porter via TriLUG wrote:
> If your hat is made of tin foil, then maybe it's not for you, and
> maybe you want to run a fully recursive resolver like unbound.
> But if you would just like an easy-to-manage filtered DNS,
> suitable for family use, then sign up for a free account and
> use it to the fullest.

I have been running my own fully recursive resolver for the better part
of a decade.  As an earlier comment pointed out, the uptime of TWC's
DNS servers was deplorable and lack of DNS was one of the biggest
contributors to the "no connection available" syndrome.  I solved that
problem by installing Bind, on a copy of Ubuntu Server following the
how to documents on the first day I set the machine up while I was
still a Linux Newbie.  It was that easy.

Currently, I run my own DHCP and DNS server and have the two linked
with dynamic DNS so that (white listed) items can come and go on my
home LAN and be resolved either by name or IP address.  It may be
pointless, but I do like the geek points.

I also consider it a matter of privacy.  While my ultimate browsing
destinations are somewhat obvious, unless I'm using a service like Tor,
the query of what domain I am looking for is not broadcast to the great
Satan Google, or TWC for statistical or other analysis.

> PS - One point that was not clear to me from the earlier discussion
> was whether AT&T was simply offering its own DNS servers as the
> default via DHCP assignment, or if it were somehow blocking or
> intercepting traffic that was intended for external DNS servers.
> That distinction makes all the difference in the world.

One of the big problems I see with allowing companies like this to
control the DNS is that it opens the doors to nonsense like SOPA that
we saw a few years ago.  It's also not difficult to extend this to a
control the propaganda, err, the narrative..scenario.  When an outside
"authority" controls your access to information while you're thinking
your getting free, as in freedom, there is no bounds to the
nefariousness that can be done.