[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 6 18:12:57 EST 2016

So, is this right, Matthew?

Suppose that your gateway gets external IPv4 address 129.250.123.123. When
you first set up your router, you plug it into the 5268AC gateway, and your
router is given an IP address by the gateway between 192.168.0.2 and
192.168.0.253. Your computer, plugged into your router, gets an IP address
between 192.168.x.2 and 192.168.x.253, where x is != 0 (as configured in
your router's DHCP/LAN settings). Your computer sees the router at
192.168.x.1 (or perhaps 192.168.x.254). It sees the gateway at 192.168.0.1
(or maybe 192.168.0.254). It sees the Internet through two layers of
NAT-ing.

But when you configure DMZ+ in the gateway, and then reboot your router,
instead of getting an IP address between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.253,
your router is given the external IP address, 129.250.123.123, passed on by
the gateway, which the gateway used to have, before DMZ+ was enabled.

Right?  If that's right, then it sounds pretty good, to me!

It also sounds like you could configure whatever DNSs you want in your own
router, and if it's a decent router then the problem of machines on your
LAN not being able to access your server(s) via your external IP address
would also be solved, since that traffic wouldn't even make it up to the
gateway.

Dave