[TriLUG] OT: Relationship between Internet Speed and Video Latency

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 29 01:28:50 EDT 2017

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 16:38:54 -0400
Scott Chilcote via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> Hello luggers,
> We have an ongoing issue with receiving video over our internet
> connection.  It hasn't improved much, despite several changes and
> upgrades.  I'm hoping some of the more networking savvy members will
> share some insights.

internet in the US is quite interesting and I still do not fully
understand how all the different players operate, from my own
experiences depends where in the world (and even where in the US) I may
be, I use external servers and custom ports and networks on top of
networks to push or pull my own data/traffic. For example brighthouse
on 300Mbps cable sometimes tanks port 22 - but if I route port 22
traffic through port 80 (or 443) I have much better speeds (less latency)
(or of course if i use expensive mobile data)

do you have broadband or cable?

broadband is not pooled and cable is.

then, your provider (rr?) sets priorities for different streams & ports,
and speed test results depends a lot on what test you are using

for some of my needs 1Mbps ADSL broadband is many times faster than
300Mbps cable (if it even works at all), then again for netflix 300Mbps
cable is many times faster than 1Mbps broadband

you can also shape your own home traffic, for example my 6 year
old's tablet  is capped at x speed and my 11 year old at y speed, (it
takes some tinkering but there are good online guides for shaping
traffic)

overall, you may also find that 'some' streaming services on one
provider is much slower on a different provider and at different times
of the day...

so, maybe the correct answer is - get a different provider..but with
some of the providers not just supplying network, but also physical
security (home alarm) & other iot, it is becoming increasingly
difficult - if not impossible - to change providers in many
regional areas. - In many areas there are no other operator(s) - to an
ignorant observer, it may seem that they have agreements to stay out of each
others areas :)

Generally and overall Internet in the USA is also becoming very region
specific, the overall number of players have and are decreasing
(current example: at&t merger)

so, eroding internet freedom and the one or two? eventual companies
also deciding what everyone uses (or does not use: for example google
hangouts)

so, to be clear, a provider (as there will soon only be one in your geo)
will decide what you use or do not use :)

Andre