[TriLUG] Specs for a good workstation

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat May 6 15:24:34 EDT 2017

On Fri, 5 May 2017 21:09:56 -0400
vikram sai balaji ulaganathan via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a tower that can run
> at least 30 to 40 Ubuntu docker containers with a say lamp app?
> Thanks
> Vikram

If you mean regular Ubuntu with Unity (or later with Gnome), you could
get by with quite a bit less hardware by using Lubuntu (Ubuntu with
LXDE).

The lamp app also makes a difference: Does it spend most of its time
calculating public/private key pairs and writing three related
tables, each with 3 different indexes, or does it spend most of its
time waiting for the user to type several paragraphs into a multiline
input field?

And of course how often is the app hit? One hit per minute, or 100
hits per second?

If you were running a no-X Ubuntu getting hit once per minute and doing
no challenging calculations, I'd guess that any old COTS box with 32GB
of RAM would do it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2017 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28