[TriLUG] Free 70" TV, needs repair

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 12 14:30:54 EDT 2017

Hi folks,

I'm offering a 70" Vizio E701i 1080p TV free to a good home.

Why?  It needs repairs that are more work that I'm willing to put in.  The
TV died this past Christmas Eve, at less than 3 yrs. old.

Basically, this model has a factory defect in one of the drivers for the
Sharp panel that it uses.

According to research, this driver defect causes it to blow the T-Con board
(Timing Controller board, for sync, I think)

Unless you can repair the IC in the driver, the "fix" is really hacky, and
may not last forever:
The TV has a left & right driver each of which run at 50%. Removing the bad
one (usually the right side when looking at tv) will restore the set to
its' original picture. This is irreversible but the only fix I've seen.
Your TV now work in a "compromised" state with the left driver doing all
the work and running at 100%. Im guessing this will lead to a shorter life
span but, its better than throwing it in the garbage.

You probably need to replace the T-Con board after doing this, but it's
cheap.

See this forum thread for a detailed how-to:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49281

Also, I have "free to a good home" a 19" CRT (I know, I know, but wait...)
This is a *really nice* Samsung SyncMaster 955df DynaFlat CRT that can push
1600x1200 at 65Hz.
It's also a "short" CRT, so it's not as *huge* as older ones.

Reviewers say it looks best at 1280x960, but I think it still looks good at
1600x1200.

I just don't have room for it anymore and don't want to junk it unless I
have to.

Send a direct email if you want one or both.

-Wes
Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.