[TriLUG] OT: my first IoT device: The Voice Controlled Intelligent Shopper

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 12 16:16:23 EDT 2017

I was given one of these at Sears at Southpoint today for buying something worth
more than $25.

It's an Alexa analogue, called Alfie.

Apparently I'm recognisable as being not terribly sharp in the shopping
department and am in need of assistance to bring me up to par with the other
people in the shopiverse.

with this device you can

o order products and get recommendations

o find and order the products you want

o have access to a trusted market of goods

o it's intelligent (something I'm lacking) and will learn my needs

o it's backed by real human intelligence.

Presumably being voice activated, it will tell the great data center in the sky
how many people are in my house, what we're watching on the TV and listening to
on the radio, when no-one's at home, probably what the temperature is, listen to
me talking about what I ate, and listen to the taps on my kbd and correct my
programming mistakes.

It will work perfectly with my cell phone, which tells everyone where I am at
any instant.

I wonder if I should turn it on.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml