[TriLUG] OT: Cars smarter than us (was "my first IoT device")

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 15 09:30:04 EDT 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Peter Neilson via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2017 16:56:06 -0400, Scott Lambdin via TriLUG
> <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
>> At least we got a funny email out of it!
>

> Has anyone bought a NEW car lately?
>
> A friend who subscribes to the WSJ forwarded me a story from a few days ago.
> "Help! My Fancy New Car Won’t Stop Beeping"
>
> An excerpt:
> :: A BMW spokesperson said sensors for the parking-assistance system “can
> :: be turned off simply by pressing one button.”

      There was a Top Gear episode where Jeremy bitched about how
there was no real way to turn the GPS voice on a BMW no matter how
many times you went to the menu thingie and turned it off.

> :: Even so, Dr. Miller’s complaints echo other drivers who long for the days
> when
> :: the only console controls were for the heater and radio. “This might be
> why I
> :: buy a used car in the future,” Dr. Miller said.

      Wall-E anyone?

> Another:
> :: ... quit using his Acura RDX’s built-in navigation system after it told
> him to
> :: take a left turn at a red light—into a pond.

      You know, on the car's defense if it tells you to turn to a
place where pavement was replaced by, maybe, green objects that
flutter in the wind or a body of water, it is ok to ignore the tiny
lady in the car speaker. It is not like she told you if you do not
turn right the high voltage electrodes hidden on the seat will be
enabled.

> Another:
> :: Ford Motor  Co.’s MyFord Touch infotainment system was so buggy when
> first
> :: introduced that Chairman Bill Ford, Henry Ford’s great-grandson, was
> :: stranded roadside after the software crashed.
>
> My regular vehicles are 25 years old; my newest only 20; my oldest about
> 110.

      you have a 110 year old car? Which one?