[TriLUG] AWS storage and upload thingies

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 22 09:37:13 EDT 2017

I would caution against using Glacier. The pricing for it is some of the most complicated in AWS, and you can get bitten by it badly. It is for real disaster recovery and where recovery time doesn't matter. Basically you can only retrieve something like 10% of your data per month without it becoming hugely expensive. It is effectively write only storage where you can say that the data is safe, but can't really get at it quickly or easily.

S3 is more expensive, but still cheap. If price here makes a difference to you, I would look at Google Cloud's file storage, as well as Backblaze's B2 thing. Both are cheaper than S3.

If you are talking about a relatively small amount of data (1-3TB), Amazon also offers a thing called Cloud Drive which is a flat $60 for unlimited storage. Obviously it is limited by some fair use clause but as long as you are not a crazy outlier, you'll be ok. It has a Linux client I believe.

Igor