[TriLUG] tcpdumping a wifi connection

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 30 13:32:32 EDT 2017

Hi Group,

Is there a relatively painless way to capture the traffic between camera
and app? Do typical approaches like arp-poisoning work on wifi?

Not so long ago, I picked up some Chinese wifi-enabled pinhole cameras.
("HD waterproof" turned out to be 640x480 and a PCB with shrink-tube
around it...caveat emptor...fortunately my only real requirement was
"cheap")

As is often the case with brandless electronics, documentation ranges
from a joke (indecipherable engrish) to completely nonexistent.

Out of the box, it only works by way of a specific smartphone app.  I
doubt it's doing anything proprietary underneath, but I don't know how
to sniff it since it serves as the access point itself (and, so far,
does not associate with other WAPs as it claims it can).  If I can
figure out what codec it speaks, I could do something useful with it...

Thanks!
-Brian