[TriLUG] tcpdumping a wifi connection

Matt Whitney via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 30 13:47:09 EDT 2017

Brian,

No need for arp-poisoning, as long as you're on the same SSID as the
camera/phone, you should be able to capture traffic from any system (with a
WiFi adapter, that is) using just tcpdump with the -i option to specify the
wlan interface. Since WiFi is broadcast, you can capture from that system
as you're viewing from the phone app. With a little more work you could
even to a tcpdump while not on the same SSID and pull the data you need
(assuming you know the SSID encryption and passphrase).

Also, it may be as simple as running an NMap scan against the camera and
hitting the open port(s) with a web browser. With your description of the
camera, I'd imagine that there really wasn't a ton of effort put into
security.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Thanks,
Matt