[TriLUG] Linux thin client

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 31 10:12:32 EDT 2017

ok, if you are just looking to turn a single box into a thin client, you have alot of choices. The concept of LTSP should be useful to read, but it is really just a drop in full blown solution for a thin client server based architecture. If your atom only has memory but can be PXE booted, that would be a great way to use your hardware. PXE booting is an awesome way to utilize old hardware and ditch the hard drive. Also, it is nice that you boot the same image every time to remove any hacking that may have occurred. PXE boots can take some time to boot if your image is too large. Also just do a general search on thin client linux solutions and you should find quite a bit.

Here are some more suggestions.
1. Open Thin Client - I have seen this before, but I have not tried it, however, it looks interesting. Based on a minimized Ubuntu.2. Tiny Core - This has been a personal favorite of mine for a long time. It is lightening fast with super customization capability in and easy fashion once you learn the idea behind the solution. I still use it on some HP thin client hardware, and it is awesome for PXE booting, usb booting, or built-in flash drive, which is how I use it for my HP think clients. However, I have also PXE booted in the past. The flash drive boot is faster though.
Have fun and good luck.