[TriLUG] can't attach passwd protected zip file to e-mail

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 23 10:50:17 EDT 2017

Apparently I'm way behind in understanding the Nanny State.

I just tried attaching a passwd protected zip file (containing keys) to my
e-mail with the Alpine client on pilot. It says "illegal file type" (or
something like that).

I look up Alpine to find that attaching encrypted files is illegal in some parts
of the world, although it doesn't say where. Apparently Alpine is going to stop
me from doing things that are illegal in these parts of the world. Thank you
Alpine.

I changed the extension to .txt, but Alpine was smart enough to not let that one
pass. Next I put the zip file in a tar file and sent it off. Alpine was happy to
do that. Problem solved, or so I thought.

Next I got a bounce message from gmail (at the recipient's end) saying "I'm
sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?p=BlockedMessage&visit_id=0-636338239294372472-1728496452&rd=1

gmail says I had a passwd protected file inside a tar file. I didn't realise
gmail scanned attachments.

You're supposed to use google drive. Apparently encrypted files are no longer
malicious if you use google drive to transfer them. Thank you Google.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml