[TriLUG] can't attach passwd protected zip file to e-mail

Shay Walters - CMI via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 23 17:03:30 EDT 2017

> Honestly, my prime suspect would be good old Uncle Sam.
[...]
>  a lot of pirated material is sent in a .RAR file that requires
> a password to decrypt and they may be trying to stop that.

Speaking as a small-company email admin:   More to the case at hand, it hasn't been uncommon for ransomware to be sent in password-protected ZIP files (with the password given in the text of the email with a ploy to try to get the recipient to open it.)  I think it's more likely a matter of self-protection trying to block malware, or for the protection of less-than-expert users in the case of somebody like gmail.

Shay