[TriLUG] Router Recommendations

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 30 05:13:20 EDT 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017, Michael Marley via TriLUG wrote:

> Instead of OpenWRT, you might want to look at the LEDE project
> (https://lede-project.org/), a fork of OpenWRT.

There was a problem a couple of years back for opensource code running on WAPs.
Some of the manufacturers wouldn't allow you to flash the ROM because of the
module that controlled the frequencies of the radio. People in the US could run
the Japanese extra channel if they wanted. I remember TP-Link being one of the
brands that no longer let you flash their hardware.

I may not have the story quite right. Does anyone know what the story is and
whether the opensource people have a work around?

Thanks Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml