[TriLUG] Router Recommendations

Michael Marley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 29 18:52:22 EDT 2017

Instead of OpenWRT, you might want to look at the LEDE project
(https://lede-project.org/), a fork of OpenWRT.  Most of the development
activity now occurs on the fork, leaving the original OpenWRT project
fairly stagnant.  It hasn't had a stable release in almost 2 years now
and has multiple components with known security vulnerabilities.

As far as gigabit routing, only a few LEDE/OpenWRT-supported devices are
capable of such speeds considering as it doesn't support any kind of
hardware NAT.  It might be a good idea to ask on the #lede-dev IRC
channel on Freenode to see which devices can do gigabit routing these days.