[TriLUG] Router Recommendations

Don Jerman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 30 12:10:56 EDT 2017

I do the same, except I have a separate netgear POE switch 'cause our house
has a bunch of drops wired in.  Separating the concerns lets me put the
TP-Link router in the closet where the cable modem lives, put the
distribution switch on a separate shelf where the wire bundle comes down,
and hide the AP in another spot that has less metal around it, so it gives
good coverage.  I tried moving the TP-link all around the closet but
between the wall boxes and the net of wires converging there, there were
always some low spots in the house.  Moving the AP upstairs just "shadows"
the wiring  closet, which is the one place I don't really need wifi :).

Also the TP-Link wifi had a bug under OpenWRT where it would drop certain
clients after some amount of traffic until a power reset started the count
over.  Probably an Atheros driver thing that didn't get documented to the
developers.  Ubiquiti gives better throughput and lacks the bug.

So whenever Google or AT&T feel like coming down my street I only have one
$70 device to upgrade, rather than trying to get it all-in-one.