[TriLUG] OT: Blocking scroll video pop ups

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 4 10:33:29 EDT 2017

It seems that a growing number of sites, especially those that have
some sort of video at the top of the page, have this "feature" that as
you scroll down you get a pop up window of the video in the lower right
hand corner.  You can close the video box by clicking the large black
X, but I would like to find a way to wholesale block them as they're
super annoying.

I have tried various ad blocking add ons, and tried to identify the DOM
element using the object inspector and create a "no script" filter for
them but so far have been unsuccessful.

Google-fu on the subject has only provided me with links to the
benefits of these new scroll windows with articles about including them
in your site, not how to get rid of them.

Has anyone come across an effective means put to a stop to these
things?