[TriLUG] OT: Opinion about DNS service

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Aug 5 03:19:48 EDT 2017

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 13:08:59 -0400
David Burton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> > Port blocking.
> > Commonly-abused ports (like 25) /might/ not be blocked at any
> > moment with residential class.  I can be /guaranteed/ they aren't
> > blocked with business class.
>
> Well, I gave up on running my own mailserver, anyhow. It was just too
> *hard*, largely due to the spam flood.

Email is easy :)

Spam is basically dead.

Six? golden rules:
1. Bounce when no rDNS (exim/postfix/sendmail/qmail - 2 second conf)
2. Use 10 dnsbl with properly configured spamassasin - with 2 points
per dnsbl listing
(five minutes copy & paste for exim/postfix) -> bl -> http://multirbl.valli.org/
3. hard bounce any incoming over 10 (10 second conf)
4. hand white/black bad domains, like the spammy twitter.com
5. iptables firewall sorbs drop & block spam nets (no need to worry
about AS jack as you have point 1 (rDNS)
6. Filter outgoing (also using spamassasin & out rulesets) & delete
abusive users (spend money/time on abuse admin)

Mind you, I did get a spam about two weeks ago... so you may still get
the odd spam email every month or two...

Andre