[TriLUG] OT: Blocking scroll video pop ups

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 4 10:51:27 EDT 2017

On 08/04/2017 10:33 AM, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:
> It seems that a growing number of sites, especially those that have
> some sort of video at the top of the page, have this "feature" that as
> you scroll down you get a pop up window of the video in the lower right
> hand corner.  You can close the video box by clicking the large black
> X, but I would like to find a way to wholesale block them as they're
> super annoying.
>
> I have tried various ad blocking add ons, and tried to identify the DOM
> element using the object inspector and create a "no script" filter for
> them but so far have been unsuccessful.
>
> Google-fu on the subject has only provided me with links to the
> benefits of these new scroll windows with articles about including them
> in your site, not how to get rid of them.
>
> Has anyone come across an effective means put to a stop to these
> things?

I've had reasonable success using an  /etc/hosts file block-list, which
blocks a lot of ad servers by redirecting them to localhost.

This works well for Yahoo mail, one of the spammiest sites I still use.

There are some freely available hosts file block lists online, for
example: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

A drawback is that the list will become outdated as new ad sites are
created and old ones move around.  Periodically I look for the URLs for
new ads using the source inspector (like you said) and add them to the file.

  Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com