[TriLUG] OT: Opinion about DNS service

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 4 11:43:43 EDT 2017

On 08/04/2017 11:21 AM, ac via TriLUG wrote:
> maybe a silly question, but is it not easier to get a static IP?
> afaik if you have a business acc with TWC, you just ask for it
> if not, getting a $5/10 vps is not that bad and it has additional
> advantages?

Nope.  I have TWCBC (now Spectrum Business!) and static IP is not free.
  I think it adds $10/mo for a single usable IP (30-bit netmask).  Even
if it's only $5/mo for a /30, free dynamic DNS through Hurricane
Electric is still a lot cheaper.

For my use cases, there's essentially no advantage to having a static IP.

-B