[TriLUG] OT: Opinion about DNS service

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 4 11:44:50 EDT 2017

My recollection is that Spectrum/TWC and AT&T both give you a LOT more
bandwidth for the price with residential service than with business class
service.

No configurable rdns with residential, of course, but I wonder if Spectrum
& AT&T are competent enough to provide that even with business-class.

With Time-Warner, at least, you could keep the same IP address for many
months, if your modem stayed powered-on. In fact, you'd usually keep it
even through a modem power-cycle.

I just had a 42-hour Spectrum outage, and I did, indeed, have a different
IP when it finally came back up again. But that could be because I rented
their modem for three days, to prove that the outage was their fault. I
also got another new IP address when I switched it back to my own modem.

Dave