[TriLUG] OT: Blocking scroll video pop ups

Kevin Hunter Kesling via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 11 16:22:36 EDT 2017

A bit late to this party, but my $0.02:

As you've no doubt inferred by now, there doesn't appear to be a
sure-fire solution for the problem you describe.  I'm annoyed by these
as well (for ancillary but related reasons), and have a couple of
workarounds for my uses.

  1. Three times out of four, I'm with Peter: close the tab and move
     on.  The content on those pages is rarely of value to me anyway.

  2. I visit these sites infrequently enough that it's not (too much
     of) a bother to

    * right-click on the annoying page element/video,
    * click "Inspect" from the menu,
    * and then to remove/delete the relevant video/iframe/canvas element
      from the DOM.  (Chrome/FF: either right-click the highlighted
      element and select "Delete Element", or just hit the delete key on
      the keyboard).

  3. For Chrome/Chromium, I've recently found uBlock Origin, which a
     colleague touts as a better option than AdBlock Plus.  I'll leave
     to the beholder which is better/philosophically superior, but one of
     the options of UBO is "Block media elements larger than X kB".  It
     has not blocked all of those video elements for me, but certainly
     some of them.

  4. Have you searched your browser's available extensions for 'disable
     video autoplay'?  That might be another solution worth considering.

Cheers,

Kevin