[TriLUG] Wireless AP recommendation

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 24 12:23:26 EDT 2017

You can either use the PoE brick included with the unit or buy the 5-port
or 8-port PoE switch:
https://amzn.com/B00HXT8QKC
https://amzn.com/B00HXT8QSO

You do NOT need AC power near the AP.  PoE spec is the same as Ethernet:
100m/330ft.

It is 24V passive, NOT standard 802.11af or 802.11at.

Finally, you don't need a mounting box, you just have a CAT5e coming out of
the wall.  If you have the CAT5e come out of the wall exactly 2" below the
right screw of  the mounting plate, the AP covers the hole and it is
invisible.

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."