[TriLUG] at&t fiber

Mark Turner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 7 11:19:44 EDT 2017

Hey folks,

I've had AT&T Fiber for about three months now. 1Gb up and down. Fast
and rock-solid, so far.

I ditched the AT&T modem (in my case, a Pace 5268AC) right away since I
don't really trust AT&T being on my home network (with the
vulnerabilities found in their Arris modems, I was justified).

AT&T uses the 802.1x *wired* protocol to authenticate to its network.
One drawback for 802.1x wired is that there is no ongoing
reauthentication. Authentication is used only to initially open the
port. Once the port is up it does not reauthenticate.

This means you can set up your own router to act as your gateway. You'll
need to clone the MAC address of your AT&T modem and set it up to pull
DHCP addresses (including IPv6, I believe).

Then, plug the AT&T router and the ONT into a gigabit switch (any will
do, it doesn't have to be managed). Wait until the AT&T router has
exchanged certificates with the AT&T headend and you have traffic
flowing. Once this happens, plug in your router to the gigabit switch
and unplug the AT&T router.

Viola! All your gigabit sweetness is now passing through your router and
the AT&T router can be put aside.

I've run for months this way, only going through the process if my
devices lose power. Give it a try!

Cheers,

Mark