[TriLUG] Internet Neutrality

Tadd Torborg via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 8 17:48:08 EDT 2017

Truly the first problem is redundancy.
I forget that some people don’t have it.  In my neighborhood I have 2 pipes that are landline, CATV and DSL.  I also have at least two discreet over-the-air services with Verizon and ATT-cellular, and then there’s via satellite.  I suspect we’ll see a 2nd via satellite availability soon.  So for my neighborhood the only problem with dynamically selecting providers is cost.   I’m actually already paying for Verizon cell-network AND Time-Warner/Spectrum land-line CATV already but I don’t generally have them both connected to the streaming-to-TV and desktop computers at the same time.   There are costs per bit differences between these two services though I don’t expect that will be true for much longer.

My point is that with multiple service providers, we can, in fact, implement interesting technological solutions for the problem.  All we need for laws and regulations already exist in the form of anti-trust law, I think.  If Verizon and Spectrum collaborated to keep us from something or another, it would be bad.  Can they?  Technologically I’m sure they can.  Legally?  I’m clueless.    I’m still worried about the all encompassing government, or more likely, the amateur fascists, blocking availability of something or another.

When is Gone With The Wind airing next?   Burn the books!  Tear down the statues!  Stop broadcasting that filth!    haha.  amazing what comes around and goes around.

    Tadd

Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd at mac.com
Raleigh NC  FM05pv