[TriLUG] Internet Neutrality

Tadd Torborg via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Sep 11 11:05:40 EDT 2017

I'm fine with regulating the municipally granted monopolies.  That's kind of part of the deal.  What I am scared of is putting that regulation in the hands of the federal government.  There are many governments, from the people who grant the municipal monopoly, to counties, to states.  Each of those governments can be shown by their neighbors as having screwed up, by simple comparison.  (i'm sure it isn't THAT simple, but work with me)  The fed is not one of those governments.  >From the perspective of a US citizen, there can only be one.

I see the fed as centralized money just begging for corruption.  It's much harder to corrupt a municipality in the long term and easier to expose.  Also the damage caused by one corrupt or ill-advised, or ignorant bureaucrat is more confined and cheaper to fix when that bureaucrat only affects a million people, or a thousand.

In most of my life I have found that solutions applied to the lowest level of the system where the solution is effective are the best places to apply a solution.  It's much better to put automation at a low level where the resources are cheap than to try to run that solution from the top.  Also, the low level optimizations run even when the high level of the system is off line or paying attention to something critical.

If the CATV provider is too monolithic to take direction at the municipal level, perhaps it is time to move your monopoly to a different provider?

 Tadd